Span is a studio crossing the boundaries of communication design in all mediums.
Our work is focused on challenging expectations with wit, logic, and a playful spirit. Blending typographic discipline with fearless expression, we elevate the role of the visual message in both culture and community. Span takes the long view — in every gesture and every project.
We see our design practice as a research and development lab both for our clients’ needs and for our own inquiry. We strive to discover innovative ways to increase impact in the art of communication through imagination and experimentation. We experiment with new models for sustainability that weave together equality, inclusiveness, and environmentalism as an ethos for success in both our work and our studio.
Co-founders John Pobojewski and Bud Rodecker have 25 years of shared experience shaping brand strategy and design for high-profile clients in the design, cultural, and civic communities. They are joined by a team of uniquely talented designers, photographers, 3D animators, illustrators, programmers, musicians, typographers, and educators. We believe this diverse set of viewpoints energizes our thinking, drives originality, and makes our work better.
- Docomomo Modernism in America Award of Excellence
- AIGA 50 Books | 50 Covers
- Tokyo TDC Annual 2021
- STA 100 2020
- Communication Arts Typography Annual 11
- Tokyo TDC Exhibition 2020
- 49th Annual UCDA Design Competition
- STA 100 2019
- STA 100 2018
- Sappi Printer of the Year Award 2018
- 48th Annual UCDA Design Competition
- STA 100 2017
- 47th Annual UCDA Design Competition
- Graphis Poster Annual 2018
- STA 100 2016
- Communication Arts Typography Annual 2017
- 46th Annual UCDA Design Competition